Friday 7 January 2011

The Hungry Caterpillar Cupcakes

I thought I would kick start the New Year with some cakes! Everyone loves cakes, don't they? Now I know that some of you may be trying to resist the call of those lovely, tasty, yummy little delights that is a light, fluffy cake, but hey, I don't have any willpower!

Go back now if you can't resist, but I can guarantee that they are worth it. Little people love these cupcakes. I guess they are not for everyday use, but I made them for my friends little girls birthday, and well, everyone loved them! I mean, what's not to love? Oh and the basic recipe for the cupcakes and the icing can be used for everyday cakes, or for that girlie afternoon tea. Just bake and enjoy!

The Very Hungry Caterpillar is the ingenious creation of Eric Carle, and since its publication in 1969, it has become one of the most popular young children's books the world over. Today it remains loved by both adults and children alike. The book is beautifully illustrated, and it was one of my daughter's favourite books. Although, now she is slightly too old for the story, she continues to delight in the imaginative and innovative illustrations.

This lovely book is now a favourite of my friend's daughter, and for her first birthday, we came up with the idea (and challenge) of making a very hungry caterpillar cake, using a round sponge for the face and cupcakes for the body.

I was responsible for the cupcakes and my friend designed the face. This was just a regular victoria sponge cake, (which I think was bought rather than baked), and it was covered with ready coloured, ready rolled red icing. The feet, face and antennae were cut out from ready rolled and ready coloured black icing.

Ingredients - Makes approx 12 regular cupcakes

200g self raising flour
200g unsalted butter (room temperature)
200g caster sugar
4 eggs
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon vanilla essence
Preheat the oven to fan - 160 degrees celsius/gas mark 4. I tend to preheat my fan oven to 180 degrees celsius, as at the lower temperature my cakes came out looking a little bit anaemic, but you will know your oven and can adjust the temperature accordingly.

Line a 12 hole muffin tin with cupcake cases.

Cream the butter and sugar together in a bowl using a hand blender (my preferred weapon of choice), until pale, smooth and fluffy. This will take a few minutes.
Add the eggs and mix for a few minutes, then add the vanilla extract and mix again.
Add the baking powder to the flour and combine, then slowly sift the flour a bit at a time into the creamed mixture, mixing after each addition until all the flour has been combined
Gently spoon the mixture into the cases and place in the oven for 20 - 25 minutes.
Check the cakes are cooked by inserting a skewer into the centre, this should come out clean.
Remove from the oven and leave to cool in the tin for about 10 minutes, then remove from tin and leave to cool completely on a wire rack before icing.

The Fun Bit!

Vanilla Buttercream Icing

Makes enough to ice 15-20 regular cupcakes

Ingredients

110g unsalted butter at room temperature
60ml of semi-skimmed milk at room temperature
1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
500g icing sugar, sifted
Few drops of green food colouring

Method

Using a hand blender (my preferred choice of equipment), mix together, the butter, milk, vanilla extract and half the icing sugar until smooth. This can take several minutes. Gradually add the remainder of the icing sugar and continue to beat until the buttercream is smooth and creamy.
To add colour, start with one or two drops, beat and continue to add colouring drop by drop until you have the depth of colour you wish.
Then ice your cakes. I ice using a pallet knife, but you can pipe the icing on should you prefer.
To ice using a pallet knife, place a blob of icing into the centre of the cake and smooth to one edge, place another blob and smooth to the other side, and finally place a final blob and swirl it around. It takes practice so have patience!

And finally - enjoy! I hope you agree that the effort was worth it!



4 comments:

  1. What a clever idea, thanks for posting about it and including the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Debs. I do love cupcakes and I really enjoy baking them. My favourite bit is icing, that's when I can get really creative.

    ReplyDelete