Friday 24 September 2010

Short Stories and Other Musings!

I firstly must apologise for the many spelling errors in this blog. I do have a good excuse, well, I think it is a good one anyway! Because of dodgy floater in eye, I have spent all morning at the eye hospital - kindly driven by my good friend Anna. Eye all okay, but again have pupils the size of bin lids, and I am hiding in a darkened room, refusing to answer the door, because I am wearing my glasses (not that anyone has called!) I am struggling to type, as the keyboard keeps moving and the letters on the screen look like I have had a few to many G&T's!

Another brilliant excuse for not writing much today! I did manage to scribble down some notes for the NaNoWriMo, which starts in November. Tomorrow, I am meeting the Liverpool branch of nutty writers, who wish to raise their blood pressures to abnormally high levels, by attempting to write a novel in a month! Fortunately I now have something concrete to contribute!

I have moved from young adult genre to chick lit with a twist. Well, not exactly a twist, more a slightly darker element, I think. Will have probably changed my mind by tomorrow though! I do love reading chick lit - it is pure escapism, and you can often relate to the main character at least in part.

Do you think that watching 'Diagnosis Murder' is conducive to writing?

Oh and in case anyone was wondering, I still haven't emailed the short story to my friend yet! Too scared of her red pen - she is a teacher you know! As for the crappy assignment on the writing course I signed up for - well - what can I say? The latter part of the assignment is a travel article and I am struggling. The reasons are twofold. Firstly, I haven't actually travelled anywhere recently, and secondly, camping in Devon has probably been done already! Although, I am planning to write more about following Kate Rew's outdoor swimming haunts from her book rather than describing the loos in great detail. (Very important on a campsite!) Who knows? All I can say is that I have been putting it off for about 3 months now, so I guess I had better rip that plaster off and get on with it.

It will have to wait until Monday now! Oops!

2 comments:

  1. Me again. If you like 'darker' chick lit, have you read Lucy Dawson's books? His Other Lover and The One That Got Away are great. What My Best Friend Did is good too, but I didn't enjoy it quite as much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nope, haven't yet, but will look out for her. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete