Friday 15 October 2010

Children's Party Dilemmas

I am currently tearing my hair out trying to organise my daughter's 6th birthday party! I didn't actually want a party for her, not a full on party in a hall, where you have to invite the entire class, or run the risk of offending one of the mothers. But I have succumbed to the pressure, and the party will be held in a hall, but I am not inviting the entire class. To be fair to the other mum's, this does not appear to be the norm, so I am not breaking the unwritten rules of the playground!

The problem with children's parties, is that they are so competitive. We have been to a space hopper party, a fancy dress disco, a party on a farm, various indoor soft play areas, a pamper party, (they were 4, I was not happy), and the best one of all a party in a hall with what I would call traditional party games!

This is what I am aiming for, a traditional party with traditional games led by me and my husband! Shriek! I was originally going for a craft party as they are a creative lot, but by the time you have purchased the materials for the craft, food, cake, party bags, prizes for games etc, you have spent a fortune!

Then you have to cater for the mum's, which means putting your baking skills to the test, (something I am not particularly stressed about), but it has to be done, otherwise the whispers around the playground will reach you and you will be categorised as the 'slummy mummy', the one who serves shop bought cakes and food. This means that not only will I be up half the night baking for the mums, I also have to wrap pass the parcel to ensure that every child gets a prize when they peal off a layer of paper. I mean, what is that all about? Gone are the days when only one child would win a prize, the one who was lucky enough to rip of the last layer of paper which leads to the exciting prize underneath. The tantrums I had to deal with when one girl wanted to to win every time, not content with the chocolate she had received when unwrapping the paper, no, she wanted it all! The screams were deafening. She is not invited this year.

Shall I not have a pass the parcel? Tempting, but will the mum's notice? Probably, not much gets past them!

As I don't work at the moment, I tried to get to know the mum's at school, bad idea. The clique had already formed as early as nursery, and no one was going to get in. I was invited to a Chinese meal by one member, who is lovely, but I think I got a bit drunk, and I wasn't invited to the latest one. I know I didn't say anything too incriminating, but no return invitation. Although, judging by the way they were talking, sorry gossiping about another mum, not sure I want to go back. I will just leave them to gossip about me in future! In fact one mum, who I used to talk to a fair bit at the gates and in the park, completely ignores me now! She even turns away when I approach so she doesn't have to make eye contact. It is hilarious.

Anyway back to the party dilemmas. I think I am going to have to re-discover a whole host of party games and have a stiff drink waiting on my return.

The problem with the party is that is in November, which is not normally a problem, but it is the month of NaNoWriMo, so I have enough to do without organising the party of the decade! The writing, hmmm, I was stupid enough to think, well, hope really, that the first story I had written since school would actually win a competition. It didn't, which I knew it wouldn't really in my heart of hearts, but the critique was helpful though. I am actually quite disappointed. I need more practice at this, and I think NaNo will give me that.

I need to get organised a bit for NaNo as it the start is skulking up on me and it will be here before know it. I must get organised, I must, I must.



2 comments:

  1. Hello, I'm also a stay at home mum, living in Wirral, trying to write. We might have been at the same event yesterday (Wirral Bookfest). I'm hoping I'm not one of the clique mums! I don't THINK I've seen you at our school:D Playground politics can be frightening.

    Kids parties are a nightmare aren't they? I've been doing them for 11 years now (3 kids) so have tried all the ways. It does get easier as they get older though, coz they will settle for pizza and cinema with a couple of their bezzie mates. I guess 6 is a bit young for that though.

    I have a writing blog with x1 follower. Maybe you could double my audience?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Anna-Marie, thanks for your comments. Yes, we must have been at the same event! I really enjoyed it, but yes, it was definitely too short. Will take a look at your blog, when I have dropped daughter off at gymnastics! Looking forward to it.

    ReplyDelete