Wednesday 6 October 2010

There is Blue Sky Ahead!

I live very close to some beautiful woodland, and I love to spend time walking my dogs. If Juliette comes she spends it climbing trees, and likes to visit the fairy queen of the woods. It's great as she spends the entire walk 'playing' with fairy queen's daughter 'Lucy'.

Storeton woods, as they are known, used to be a quarry, and stone was quarried here right up until the twentieth century. The creamy sandstone was used for many local building projects, including Birkenhead Town Hall. But is was also shipped to New York to be used as cladding for the Empire State Building. Fame at last for Higher Bebington! I like to think that there is a little bit of Higher Bebington, immortalised forever in that dazzling city we call New York.

The quarry was also the site of discovery for dinosaur footprints, which are now on display in the Liverpool Museum. That particular fact does not hold much interest for Juliette, preferring fairies to dinosaurs!















The quarry has long been filled in, and is now a beautiful woodland, which I am lucky to have on my doorstep, only a short walk away.

The sun is shining now. Typical, it wasn't so shiny when I was out with the boys.

No comments:

Post a Comment