Saturday 30 October 2010

Take That!

I am ashamed to admit that me, a grown women, spent the majority of Friday on the computer trying to purchase Take That tickets, and when I didn't get them, I had only what can be described as a tantrum. In fact, I outdid my 5 (nearly 6) year old daughter in the tantrum department. And boy was she shocked.

I decided that out of my friends, I would be in charge of purchasing. I have always got tickets before and didn't foresee any problems this time either. Oh, how I was mistaken. The website I usually use didn't exactly crash, but the 'server stopped responding'. How anyone managed to obtain tickets is beyond me. They obviously did not have a life on Friday.

The mission began at 8.30 am sharp. My daughter had to fend for herself, although I had placed an array of drinks and snacks within easy reach, and the dogs didn't get walked. Me, well, so convinced was I that I would get tickets, I didn't even bother to get dressed. I assumed it would all be over by 9.10 am and it would be just a matter of entering those all important credit card details.

9.10 am came and went, and so did 9.30 and 10 o'clock. I was not a happy bunny. It was about then I realised that I needed to get dressed and get on with my life. I thought that a bath was the answer rather than a shower, as I could take the laptop in with me, balance it on a stool, and continue to 'refresh' the page when needed. So that is what I did!

11.30 am. Still no joy, so I made an executive decision to walk the dogs. This took another half an hour before I could leave the computer without exhibiting withdrawal symptoms. By this point it was raining, but I eventually managed to drag myself away from the computer for an hour. Returned and was promptly back online.

I then had to go out to the GobbleDeeBook children's literature festival, which has been organised by the lovely Caroline Smailes. We went to listen to Guy Bass talk about his fabulous book 'Secret Santa - Agent of X.M.A.S'. He cheered me up no end! He was lively, funny, witty and intelligent. Oh and rather cute as well. But not Howard! The children loved him, and I found myself laughing along too. Fab!

The really sad thing is that I was stressing while I was there, just in case they had released more dates for Manchester. (Even though I had resigned myself to not getting any), I just had to get near a computer. I was like a woman possessed!

What makes us sensible, (but fun loving) mature women turn into a bunch of teenagers again? Is it because they (the band) remind us of our youth? Or is it just an excuse to relieve our youth and have all the fantasies we used to have? I mean, come on girls would we really leave our husbands and families for a romp with the Take That boys? Seriously? I don't think so.

Admittedly back in the day, I didn't really like them much. Mainly because I was a mean and moody biker chick and listened to rock music. Take That didn't really go with 'the look' I was trying to portray you know! I mean you can't exactly race around on a motorbike, wearing leather and listening to 'Pray' can you?

I know that I have had the odd fantasy of running off with Howard. I know, I am delusional, but you see, we share the same surname so I assumed it would be fate. Just for the record my maiden name is Donald. Funny though that when I married, I was so relieved to get rid of it, as I was teased dreadfully because of my name. Just call me 'Duckie'.

It seemed that the entire female population (and respective boyfriends whose lives wouldn't be worth living if they didn't send the text saying 'I've got them!) had gone nuts for tickets. Then to really rub salt in my wounds, I then had to sit through a brief chat between Gary Barlow and Chris Evans, talking about how all the tickets had sold out. IT WAS ONLY TEN PAST NINE! And to make matters worse, Gary was out walking his dog! I was incensed, ggrrrr, my poor dogs were not going to get a walk. And I couldn't even turn off the radio, as that would mean leaving my prime position in front of the computer - I just couldn't do it.

To be honest, I have recovered from my disappointment. Actually, I haven't I am gutted. I am also sick to the back teeth of friends on Twitter and Facebook, telling me they have tickets. Hmph! But, it's not the end of the world really. I mean, I have been the last two times, and I have seen Robbie as well. (He was awful, can't actually recommend him at all). I don't actually like Robbie much, not that I know him, but his persona is one of arrogance and 'look at me'. So I don't think I will be missing much. And that is what I will keep telling myself from now until next June!

No comments:

Post a Comment